A Critical View of Music Videos



      The video I have chosen to critically analyze is "It's Raining Men", one of my personal favorite songs. The artists who perform this piece is known as "Weather Girls", which is quite appropriate considering the contents of their most successful video, "It's Raining men".

Initial Reaction:
        My initial reaction to this music video, was that it was a comical piece, as the lyrics are as shallow as they appear to be. The vocals in the piece are exceptional, and after viewing the video, it seemed more to me like a very entertaining television programming, as the video follows a story line with narration.

Analysis and Interpretation:
        I believe that this music video was created in order to appeal to the audience's interests. When this song was released, music videos were extremely popular, and although I do not believe the music video was necessary in the production of this song, it generated a lot of money, and entertained a lot of people. The main themes underlined in this piece are "physical attraction" and "fantasy". This piece has no alignment with any Gospel values.

Consideration of the Cultural Context:
         As this piece has no profound theme behind it, many things could have influenced the production cast to create it. A possible event that may have influenced the piece is a man falling down in front of a woman, possibly leading them to exclaim the lyrics found in the main chorus "It's raining men, hallelujah its raining men!"

Expression of Aesthetic Judgement:
        The cinematography, acting and performance, choreography, storyline, special effects, lyrics, and musicality all work together very well in this song. The way they work together is, they create a storyline with the video, and use the lyrics as a narration, almost making the viewer feels as though they are watching a musical. It works well to keep the viewer entertained and definitely provided an overall more entertaining experience for myself personally.

Ongoing Reflection:
        This music video helped me better enjoy the song, as it provided a whole other aspect to admire. It communicates a sort of vibe, exciting the viewer as they watch it, and overall does improve the musical experience.

2 comments

eunize l. | May 30, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Interesting song choice, Abigail! I enjoyed watching the music video because this song is just so catchy! I sometimes sing along when I hear this song on the radio, but never really thought to look deeper into the lyrics and your analysis taught me more about the song and themes. I also agree with you about how the music video was used to bring more attention to the song rather than showing more of the theme as it is a narrative. Great blog entry!

Kristina A. | June 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Honestly, I think this is my ultimate favourite blog post EVER!! I didn't know anyone else enjoyed this song as much I did and it's nice to know that there's other people in the world my age enjoy this song as well! I completely agree with you when you say that this music video made you enjoy this song even more. Such a GROOVY tune!!

Post a Comment